Friday, August 1, 2008

All quiet on the Flushing front

As the trade "deadline" came and past yesterday (In my mind, no such thing as a trade deadline..trades are always made after the July 31 st deadline) the Mets didn't make any moves. Now we all know the front office has been a cluster fuck since the Steve Phillips days, but I digress. One of the rumors
I read was the Mets were looking at trading Scott Schowenweis? What? Why? Why make an already weak bullpen even weaker for a crappy outfielder from the Detroit Tigers. To me, this would make more harm than good, the outfielder the Mets were looking at was Marcus Thames I believe, who could hit 20 homers in 50 games or 5 in 5o, neither would surprise me.

Am I pissed off the Mets didn't wheel'n'deal? No, not really. I knew the Mets didn't have the chips
to make any deal for a decent outfielder (And neither did the fucking Yankees.) or even a good relief pitcher. I would have loved a George Sherill and/or Houston Street, but I realized the Mets didn't have the prospects to do so, well they did, but they chose not to. Personally, I would have loved to see Street in Mets blue and orange is so he can replace Hillbilly Wagner as closer in 2 years.

I'm not sure how much longer the Mets can play and play well with Fernando Tatis and Endy Chavez playing both outfield corner spots. Tatis is having a rejuevnation of sorts and we all know Chavez is best fit as a 4th outfielder and shouldn't be playing every day for 2 months.

In a post "deadline" conference call, Omar Minaya said he wasn't "afraid" of calling up the likes of Bobby Parnell, Jon Niese, Fernando Martinez or Eddie Kunz to the ball club in Queens and if any of them play like Nick Evans I will kill myself.



Once GM's saw the 718 area code, they decided not to answer.

No comments: